Skip to main content

Dear Tristan...

A Letter to My Son-

Dear Tristan,

You my sweet boy are 5- I am amazed by you. I should have known from the time you were 5 weeks old that you were going to keep me on my toes. You got meningitis, you had to be in the isolation room at Kaiser for a week. It scared me terribly. Then, when you were 1, you broke your leg...going down a slide. You and that cast were a CRACK UP! Poor guy had to learn how to walk in it-it was hilarious. Then, when you were 3, you fractured your skull- and we took ANOTHER trip to Kaiser Fontana in an ambulance. And then when you were 4, you smacked your lip into the counter and needed stitches. You also started kindergarten...worried you might not be successful, I put you in anyhow- and now, you are doing first grade math.

You are teaching me a lot, about myself, about being a mom to a boy; a rambunctious boy at that. You try my patience and wonder where I went wrong, you bring me so much joy and fill my heart with laughter. You are smart and clever and your deep dimples, big bright eyes and smile are the cutest thing I have ever seen...they have also saved you from severe punishment from time to time.

For instance, as a baby and toddler you were into EVERYTHING, never a dull moment was had with you. One night, when I was pregnant with Phoenix, I noticed things were quiet- you were (and still) NEVER quiet, ever. I got up to find you, missing only for 1 minute tops, you had smeared an entire tube of toothpaste, all over my bathroom cabinets- EVERY SINGLE ONE! You also filled my bathroom toilet with every item with in a 10 ft radius...it was overflowing with laundry and toys...you were covered in toothpaste. You looked up at me with those HUGE brown eyes and mega watt smile- your saving grace.

You are larger than life Tristan, you have so many passions and loves, but the Army is your biggest. You even wanted to be bald when you got your hair cut because you are that passionate.

As sweet as you are, you also get so angry so quickly and get your feelings hurt instantly. You are teaching me a lot on how to parent you. My prayer for you son is that you learn to be respectful and to love your family. You were our first son- your dad could not have been more proud to have a son. We want you to grow up and lean to love and serve your Lord. We want you to be love and appreciate the women in your life- from your sisters, your future girlfriends, aunts, grandmothers and me. We will all love you, and we will all disappoint you as well. As much patience as I need with you, please have patience with me. Although you are my third child, you also my first son, and I am still learning. Everyday, every situation- I have failed many times, but even in my failure I love you more than life.

I pray for you every day Tristan, and one of my favorite things is sneaking into your room when you sleep, holding your hand and praying for you while you sleep- I love saying night time prayers with you too, but those precious moments when you are sleeping are invaluable to me. I pray for a good attitude for you in the mornings- because let's be real, you are NOT a morning person. However, when you have long hair- that morning hair is precious. I pray for your days at school and your relationships with your family and friends. I pray that you grow up to be a man that I am proud of, and I pray that I succeed as your mother.

All that being said, I love you my little Tristan Kevin Joseph Aragues. <3 I am so incredibly excited that I was chosen to be your mommy, because although it is a trying and exhausting job, it is the best job I could imagine- the rewards far surpass those difficult moments. You are the most phenomenal little 5 year old I know. I can not wait to see what the next 5 years have for us.

<3 you forever,

Your mommy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who am I?

Who am I? Very good question, who am I? The simple answer, a Crazy Busy Mom of 4, but are answers ever simple? Answering the ‘Who Am I’ question seems somewhat like a tricky question- Its like when you go on an interview or apply for college. Are you sincerely interested in who I am? Or, are you more interested in who I think you want me to be? Or do you not even care and merely ask on the grounds of a formality. Answering this question gives me anxiety- because, really, WHO AM I? My name is Rhiannon, I am 30 year old and I have blond hair, my Pinterest has over 1500 pins and 48 boards. I have only made 3 things from my boards- I work 70+ hours a week spending a majority of that time with a high school football team that makes me laugh and also terrifies me of raising two boys!   Oh, I am also a wife to a wonderful husband and 4 children, one of whom I was not sure would make it to the age of 5- amazingly; on October 2, 2012 he turned 5. Our next goal is to make it to the age of 6. T

My Home Away From Home! <3

So, here is the deal- I work 70+ hours in a week, this is spread out between 2 jobs. (and usually, 2-3 outfit changes through out the day...no, I'm not kidding.) Yesterday as I was rushing, ok, let's be real, I was in 5:30 traffic trying to get across town, anyhow, I was rushing from one job to the next...I was sitting in my car eating my dinner, which was pretty awesome; peanut butter and jelly sandwich, Keebler Elf cookies, a Baggie of carrot sticks, an apple and peanut butter straight from the container with a spoon. I felt a little lonely, driving, eating my dinner and listening to some music. Now, let me tell you about my home away from home, aka my car, and the type of relationship we have. I hop in at 7:00 am, usually I'm finishing some type of breakfast, oatmeal, a beagle, whatev, but ALWAYS iced coffee. We drop the kids off and blast some music to wake me up a little more- just incase the coffee failed for the day. We hang out until 7:45 when I get to work- m

The Ramblings of a Wife

Steven and I, along with our small group are going through a very convicting and soul searching book by Mark and Grace Driscoll titled; Real Marriage: The Truth About Sex, Friendship, and Life Together. It is just that- REAL. It's not sugar coated, just for couples who's marriages are perfect or for delusional people who don't think marriages take work- it's for REAL people who are going through REAL struggles or looking how to improve their marriage, serve their spouse and serve their Lord. Like I said- it's convicting. Throughout this study I have learned that as a wife to Steven, I am mediocre at best- sadly. This has caused me to examine my heart, examine my marriage and how I, as a wife contribute to our marriage...and let's be honest, I fall short. This is not to say that I don't love my husband, on the contrary, I love him with my entire heart- with my entire being. Yet, 90% of the time my words are much louder than my actions and I come up short.