Skip to main content

So Now She's 13!


Arcadia turned 13....Thirteen, say that with me TEEN. I have a teenager. When I was younger I never imagined I would have children. I thought two things would happen: A. The rapture would take place or B. I would die before I had children. Don't laugh, I actually thought that. Now I realize, I'm old!


Now here I am a day after my oldest child turned 13 reflecting. Arcadia was born ON Mother's Day in 2001 at 9 pm after a long miserable labor. I'm sorry, I don't think the labor process is a beautiful thing. I just don't I think it's gross and I had to make sure a each of my children were CLEAN before they handed them to me- judge all you want, it doesn't change my opinion or make me a bad mom. Although I didn't think the labor process was a beautiful thing, becoming a mother was. 

In 13 years, Arcadia has taught me more about myself than I could imagine ever learning in a life time let alone 13 years. We have gone though ups and downs and awkward times in our relationship. When she was born, she taught me that the world does not revolve around me. That I could no longer just pick up and do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. Nope, now things revolved around her. Was she tired, did she need a nap, did I have enough diapers to go out for the day, did I remember to bring a change of clothes? Was she hungry? Was she entertained. Did I sing to get enough, talk to her enough....the list goes on and on. There is nothing like having a newborn. 

When she was 1, she taught me holidays don't need to be celebrated ON the designated day. My first valentines day married to my husband, poor Arcadia was so sick. She threw up countless times. We no longer had clean towels, sheets, blankets, nothing left in the house and I remember being so tired I just cried. This wasn't how valentines day was supposed to be right? Wrong, it's exactly how valentines day was meant to be. We just celebrated it later. We focused on Cade first and foremost. Steven and I celebrated later. 


When she was in kindergarten she taught me about a lack of compassion. Imagine this: first day of kindergarten and an exchange happens between Arcadia and her phenomenal teacher Ms. Johnson. It looks like this: 

Arcadia: Excise me, Ms. Johnson, where is my classroom? My mom dropped me off here,  but I'm not quite sure this is where I belong. 

Ms. Johnson: Why do you think that sweetheart? This is your classroom, come here  and look at the cubby that has your name on it. 

A: Well, my mom told me that I would learn how to read and write in this class, and learn shapes and things like that. Only, I already know how to read and wrote so where is the class for those kids?

We learned that not all kids learn at the same time and that everyone is different. We still struggle with this concept. 


She taught me that common sense is not automatically ingrained in you- fast forward to 6th grade. We leave the house at the same time every morning, it's not a shocker, we go to school Monday-Friday. More than once I have heard this statement uttered from her lips, "Mom, we have to go back home! I forgot my shoes." Yeah, that actual sentence. 

She taught me about the value of encouraging your kids to walk closely with God and to guard their hearts against so many things, starting from an early age. To learn that self worth comes from within, and God, not from friends or a boy or your parents, but God. 

She taught me how to let her grow up-SLOWLY. That I didn't need to rush to her side ever time she fell. Every time she struggled and although my heat ached watching her, I watched her come out even more triumphant than before. 


She taught me about putting your heart into everything. I watched her dance when she was little, I watched her play hard with friends, I watched her cheer 6 days every week and work hard on her tumbling. I watched her learn and get a perfect score on the state test, I watched her join every possible activity that her school had to offer in 5th and 6th grade: band, choir, her school play director, student leadership president, math club, junior Olympics, you name it, that kid did it. 



She taught me how to love like no other. There is no love like a mother has for her child. 



On that note, there wasn't any real point to this post other than for mere reflection on how awesome my kid is. :) and how much I love her and love being her mom. :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who am I?

Who am I? Very good question, who am I? The simple answer, a Crazy Busy Mom of 4, but are answers ever simple? Answering the ‘Who Am I’ question seems somewhat like a tricky question- Its like when you go on an interview or apply for college. Are you sincerely interested in who I am? Or, are you more interested in who I think you want me to be? Or do you not even care and merely ask on the grounds of a formality. Answering this question gives me anxiety- because, really, WHO AM I? My name is Rhiannon, I am 30 year old and I have blond hair, my Pinterest has over 1500 pins and 48 boards. I have only made 3 things from my boards- I work 70+ hours a week spending a majority of that time with a high school football team that makes me laugh and also terrifies me of raising two boys!   Oh, I am also a wife to a wonderful husband and 4 children, one of whom I was not sure would make it to the age of 5- amazingly; on October 2, 2012 he turned 5. Our next goal is to make it to the age of 6. T

My Home Away From Home! <3

So, here is the deal- I work 70+ hours in a week, this is spread out between 2 jobs. (and usually, 2-3 outfit changes through out the day...no, I'm not kidding.) Yesterday as I was rushing, ok, let's be real, I was in 5:30 traffic trying to get across town, anyhow, I was rushing from one job to the next...I was sitting in my car eating my dinner, which was pretty awesome; peanut butter and jelly sandwich, Keebler Elf cookies, a Baggie of carrot sticks, an apple and peanut butter straight from the container with a spoon. I felt a little lonely, driving, eating my dinner and listening to some music. Now, let me tell you about my home away from home, aka my car, and the type of relationship we have. I hop in at 7:00 am, usually I'm finishing some type of breakfast, oatmeal, a beagle, whatev, but ALWAYS iced coffee. We drop the kids off and blast some music to wake me up a little more- just incase the coffee failed for the day. We hang out until 7:45 when I get to work- m

The Ramblings of a Wife

Steven and I, along with our small group are going through a very convicting and soul searching book by Mark and Grace Driscoll titled; Real Marriage: The Truth About Sex, Friendship, and Life Together. It is just that- REAL. It's not sugar coated, just for couples who's marriages are perfect or for delusional people who don't think marriages take work- it's for REAL people who are going through REAL struggles or looking how to improve their marriage, serve their spouse and serve their Lord. Like I said- it's convicting. Throughout this study I have learned that as a wife to Steven, I am mediocre at best- sadly. This has caused me to examine my heart, examine my marriage and how I, as a wife contribute to our marriage...and let's be honest, I fall short. This is not to say that I don't love my husband, on the contrary, I love him with my entire heart- with my entire being. Yet, 90% of the time my words are much louder than my actions and I come up short.