Skip to main content

Why I HATE Run For Her

Why I hate Run For Her.

Run For Her, a 5K that raises awareness and funds for research on ovarian cancer, the most deadly cancers of all genealogical cancers. I hate it. I took part in it, as did my daughter, but I hate it. 

I hate it because it even has to exist. Because as I was running, I had to see a sign with a date of August 27, 1982- July 25, 2013. Because she was my age. I was born August 12, 1982- she was almost 31 when she died. Because I saw a sign with a date of 1986-2006- because she was 20!

I hate it because I watched over 5000 people raise almost a million dollars for research. 

I hate it because I had a bib on my back that said I was participating in honor of my aunt. 

I hate it simply because Run For Her has to exist. It exists because ovarian cancer exists, and because of that, I hate it. 

I hate it because every step I took, every bib I looked at every sign that was carried, was a representation of another life that was claimed by this awful horrible disease. Joy that was robbed from families. Every person I looked at had a story of how this cancer touched their life, brought tears to their eyes and crushed their hearts. 

I hate it because it left husbands without wives, daughters and sins with out mothers, sisters and brothers without their sister, grandchildren without their grandma, fathers and mothers without daughters and friends without friends. It left a void in each heart of the people in teal shirts surrounding me, 

Now, let me tell you my story from today. I started out walking with my cousins, mom, daughter, uncle, aunt and friends. It was amazing to see the response of people that were participating in this truly amazing fundraiser. We chatted, we walked and talked, about menial things. My daughter took off running, and we stopped at a coffee bean and tea leaf for a pit stop, yeah, that happened. Anyhow, after that, it was a little past the half way part, and I decided to catch up to my daughter. It was then, I was alone with my thoughts. My aunts comment that she made earlier was that it was so nice to see this event become so successful, but it was sad that they had to have it. Which is so true. Even though I was running- I truly looked around, I read the bibs and signs more closely. I wondered about this names, who they were, what their story was. And then, I cried, 

I cried for a lot of reasons, I cried because I as able to witness people refusing to let their loved one die in vein- they vowed to keep their loved-ones memory alive. I cried because this event even had to exist, and I cried because I saw how wildly successful this fundraiser was. Nearly a million dollars. I cried because I saw all the companies and sponsors involved and then, I cried, because the only reason I was there, was because of my Aunt Ruth. 

But I was also able to reflect on so many positive things, and that. Are my heart happy- it made me understand that I don't hate Run For Her, and I never really did along. What I hate is ovarian cancer....and to be quite honest, all cancers. I realized, I would walk a million miles if it mean not another woman had to be diagnoses with ovarian cancer. 

I encourage you to learn more about ovarian cancer, to learn more about Run For Her. There is no doubt in my mind, that I will participate in the run next year, and that I will fundraise for this with so much more gusto. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who am I?

Who am I? Very good question, who am I? The simple answer, a Crazy Busy Mom of 4, but are answers ever simple? Answering the ‘Who Am I’ question seems somewhat like a tricky question- Its like when you go on an interview or apply for college. Are you sincerely interested in who I am? Or, are you more interested in who I think you want me to be? Or do you not even care and merely ask on the grounds of a formality. Answering this question gives me anxiety- because, really, WHO AM I? My name is Rhiannon, I am 30 year old and I have blond hair, my Pinterest has over 1500 pins and 48 boards. I have only made 3 things from my boards- I work 70+ hours a week spending a majority of that time with a high school football team that makes me laugh and also terrifies me of raising two boys!   Oh, I am also a wife to a wonderful husband and 4 children, one of whom I was not sure would make it to the age of 5- amazingly; on October 2, 2012 he turned 5. Our next goal is to make it to the age of 6. T

My Home Away From Home! <3

So, here is the deal- I work 70+ hours in a week, this is spread out between 2 jobs. (and usually, 2-3 outfit changes through out the day...no, I'm not kidding.) Yesterday as I was rushing, ok, let's be real, I was in 5:30 traffic trying to get across town, anyhow, I was rushing from one job to the next...I was sitting in my car eating my dinner, which was pretty awesome; peanut butter and jelly sandwich, Keebler Elf cookies, a Baggie of carrot sticks, an apple and peanut butter straight from the container with a spoon. I felt a little lonely, driving, eating my dinner and listening to some music. Now, let me tell you about my home away from home, aka my car, and the type of relationship we have. I hop in at 7:00 am, usually I'm finishing some type of breakfast, oatmeal, a beagle, whatev, but ALWAYS iced coffee. We drop the kids off and blast some music to wake me up a little more- just incase the coffee failed for the day. We hang out until 7:45 when I get to work- m

The Ramblings of a Wife

Steven and I, along with our small group are going through a very convicting and soul searching book by Mark and Grace Driscoll titled; Real Marriage: The Truth About Sex, Friendship, and Life Together. It is just that- REAL. It's not sugar coated, just for couples who's marriages are perfect or for delusional people who don't think marriages take work- it's for REAL people who are going through REAL struggles or looking how to improve their marriage, serve their spouse and serve their Lord. Like I said- it's convicting. Throughout this study I have learned that as a wife to Steven, I am mediocre at best- sadly. This has caused me to examine my heart, examine my marriage and how I, as a wife contribute to our marriage...and let's be honest, I fall short. This is not to say that I don't love my husband, on the contrary, I love him with my entire heart- with my entire being. Yet, 90% of the time my words are much louder than my actions and I come up short.